Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Mirror Mirror On the Wall..

When it comes to appearances I would say that I'm a pretty laid back person. Most days you can find me in sweats or pajamas a regular t-shirt and in infamous green hoodie that I got 3 years ago from church. Pretty basic. My hair on a "good" day will just be down and straightened and a slight touch of make up  that practically rubs off by the time I'm finished putting it on. I'm not what people would call high maintenance type of girl.

BUT like any girl I have a huge problem with worrying about my appearance. In fact though I don't show it but 70% of my day goes into worry about what I look like. Fixing my clothes so I don't look like a weirdo, trying to straighten that last bit of hair and wondering to myself why I don't look like every other girl I see. And don't EVEN get me started about my weight. That topic could fill WAY too many blog posts and is not the point that I'm trying to get at.

Today something traumatic happened. And yes I meant to use the word traumatic. On my second time EVER to get my eyebrows waxed.. yes I succumbed to peer pressure and got them done.. the lady and I had a HUGE miscommunication.. suffice to say my eyebrows are.. well. HORRIBLE! I look like I got in a fight with with some buzz cutters and I lost. They're practically GONE. In my words to my mother they look like and upside down hockey stick turned sideways.. yes that bad. If anyone hasn't seen my normal eyebrows I'd say that they would match me. Normal not a lot of work goes into it but it looks fine.

Well after the many phone calls of hysterics and crying and eating of cookies, I totally needed chocolate at that point (Thanks Beth), I tried to think of how God could use this situation for the better. God loves wacked up eyebrow people too right?? And I realized I could learn a couple of things out of this situation.

I defiantly no longer need to check the mirror every time I walk by one.. of any reflective surface for that matter. Which practically frees up 70% of my brain to think/worry about something else.

I could learn to be not as self conscious and in return when I meet other eyebrow victims to be more sympathetic. Actually in any situation not to judge others by just appearances alone. I don't want people to think I'm weird without getting to know me first.. they get to think that afterwards.

Lastly I'd say that I realized that God loves me no matter what I look like. Eyebrows perfect or not. And even though most people wouldn't take comfort in that, I do. I don't have to worry about God making fun of my mangled eyebrows or thinking I'm weird. He just loves me. And that makes me feel 100 times better than any cookie could.

Well theres my traumatic story of the day.. so maybe next time you see me.. PLEASE don't comment on my eyebrows. I already know. Trust me.




With my eyebrows how they are now.. I won't be touching these for months. 

 “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!" Luke 12: 27-28



No comments:

Post a Comment